Thursday

The Fantastic Five

On Thursday afternoon I met a nice group of people (3 Americans, one French girl... can you tell which is which in the picture? I feel like I could guess if I didn't already know) and we ended up hanging out together for the rest of the day. We walked down the hill from Montepulciano to San Biagio to eat supper just across the street at La Grotta. It was very nice of my new friends to not strangle me when we realized the restaurant was not yet open when we finally reached the bottom of the hill (it had been my idea to eat there). We thought we were going to have to wait around for a hour, but they ended up letting us in about 20 minutes early.
La Grotta is a very nice restaurant, and I really enjoyed my meal of wild boar with dried plums, of course with wine--white, this time. I also had some really good soup but I can't remember what kind it was... but I wish I could have some more right now! Mmmmm! We all thought it was funny to see a cat wandering around in the restaurant. I can't say I've ever seen any pets roaming in any restaurants here at home (OK, so maybe fish in tanks, but they don't roam much).

The sun was setting as we left La Grotta and the light on the facade of San Biagio was just beautiful. Our group then hiked back up the hill into Montepulciano (once again my new friends very kindly didn't try to hurt me for forcing this hike on them. It was nothing to me, since for once I was making the trek without pushing a bicycle, but the others weren't too pleased with the uphill climb). We then had the crazy idea of going on a little road trip in search of, um, I guess some night life, of which there is none in Montepulciano. We were not successful in our hunt. But it was certainly a night to remember. I am SURE I will never forget getting stuck in the old part of Chianciano and briefly thinking we were going to have to just leave Christina's car there and walk home.

One of my last pictures of Montepulciano included this night time view of their secondary clock tower topped by a "Pulcinello", which strikes the bell every hour throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment