Saturday

Florence Revisited

From Rome I headed back to Florence, first for my reservations to see the Uffizi and Accademia museums, then for my flight back to Germany. By the way, backing up to my train trip from Rome to Florence--what is the deal with the weird air pressure changes in the tunnels? It made my ears pop, like being in a plane. Anyway, I did not take this picture of Michelangelo's David statue; in fact, in looking at my pictures it appears that I did not take any more pictures in Florence this second time around...? I was sure I did... Anyway, I found a few pictures on the Internet that matched what I saw, and they're probably better than any pictures I've taken.

This time in Florence I crossed over the Arno on the Ponte Vecchio. Once on the other side I noticed a pair of earrings that I really liked in a shop window but I was too hungry to stop (and after having all too recently been down to 5€ in cash I was somewhat loath to spend any money frivolously) but now I wish I had at least stopped to ask "Quanto costa?" That way if they were too expensive I wouldn't regret the fact that I didn't buy them. Not that I need another pair of earrings. I pretty much wear the same pair all the time. I rarely even wear my so-called "Edward earrings". But what if they had been 55€ or less...? A regret...

On to the Trattoria Pizzaria Dante, where I had my second Real Italian Pizza, which was just as good as the first. Same toppings, too, I think, except (it was called Quattro Stagioni) the toppings were kept separate from one another instead of being all mixed up. They serve their wine in great big goblets, so huge that it felt like I was drinking out of a fishbowl. I think my head could have fit into that glass. But I didn't try it. They also gave me, as an appetizer, a plain pizza crust drizzled with olive oil. Mmmm, that was good!! I managed to finish the whole pizza this time. Well, both of them, actually. And I was invited to join two nice American PAs at the table next to me for dessert, as Nathan insisted that eating alone gives you indigestion (although I'd been doing it all week with no problems). He and Kim were on a 4-week Europe trip! Wow! I didn't know Americans ever got to take such long trips.

After my late night out on the previous night, Hud made me promise to go right back to my hotel room after supper tonight. So I did. I had to get up early to see the Accademia anyway. I didn't even talk to the guy who started walking with me and saying "Buon giorno" (at 9 p.m.??) and "Come stai?" When I wouldn't talk to him in Italian he switched to English but I still wouldn't talk and kept walking so he finally gave up. Hud would have been proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment